So you’ve decided to bite the bullet and see what all the hype is over online rental services. Like trying anything for the first time, you may experience hesitation, stress, and feelings of anxiety, as you navigate through the unknown. But lucky for you, I am here to offer tips on making you an online renter pro!
- Know your accommodation needs! Narrowing down your search requirements will avoid becoming overwhelmed on the website.
- Get to know your host! Develop trust with your host, and get to know their approach. For example, do they respond promptly to your inquiry? Do they provide answers to your questions? Are they personable? How your host communicates should make you feel confident about booking though them. Also, it’s always good to send a direct message to your potential host FIRST, as opposed to a straight booking request. This just adds a personal touch and can start that guest/host relationship off on the right foot, with a nice initial first impression. (This could also benefit in possible flexibility with your stay, such as check-in and out times, for example).
- Choose carefully! Do your homework before booking by checking out as much information as possible about the host, accommodations, location, amenities, fees, policies and reviews.
- Ask questions, but don’t be needy! As a host, I like to build rapport, and be conversational. I will go out of my way to be helpful! I appreciate questions, so ask away! BUT there is a difference in asking questions and being demanding. Try not to lay out 100 different demands and expectations. Being high-maintenance is not the best approach; instead simple, practical requests are welcomed.
- Relax, have fun, and be respectful! Upon arriving, we as hosts realize you may be coming in from a long day of traveling. We open our home to you with open arms, and want nothing more than for you to enjoy your stay! In addition, treat our home like you would your own….hosts are especially appreciative of this!